Useful patch for GNUmake on Windows

From: Martin Oberhuber
Subject: Useful patch for GNUmake on Windows
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:55:44 +0200

Hello folks,

Paul smith suggested that I forward this mail to your group.

I have created a patch for GNUmake that I believe might be useful
for others as well.

On Windows, it is often unclear what shell "make" uses. The default
behavior (as of make-3.78.1) is to search for a program called
"sh.exe" in the PATH; if it is found, this one is used, otherwise
the Windows Commandprompt (cmd.exe) is used.

My patch (I called it TRY_LOCAL_SHELL_FIRST) tries to find sh.exe
first in the same directory where make.exe itself is located.

This gives the user the freedom to define the PATH and add any
shells he likes into the PATH, but still sort of control which
sh.exe will be used.

Find attached the modified files (derived from make-3.78.1) in
a ZIP file as well as a diff -r -c output (patch) with respect
to make-3.78.1.

I'd be glad if you find my patch useful and consider adding it
into the default distribution.

Thanks,
Martin

P.S. I'll be out of office until Wednesday, but I'll be glad to answer
any questions afterwards.

--
DI Martin Oberhuber                mailto:address@hidden