Re: w32 gmake: can't echo long strings (fwd)

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: w32 gmake: can't echo long strings (fwd)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:52:35 -0400

Ted Phares wrote:

> Using GNU make version 3.79.1 under win32:
>
> I notice that gmake chokes if a rule includes a command that attempts
> to echo a string > 94 characters long.
[snip testcase]

> Is this a known issue?

It may depend on whatever operating system or
shell you're using. If you're using cmd.exe or,
worse, command.com, but are interested in a
different shell, I've found this one
  ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/amol/zsh/
to work well with win95 and win2k; there are
others freely available as well.

If that idea holds little appeal for you, you
might try using a standalone 'echo' program
such as gnu echo, part of the shell utilities.
You can extract a prebuilt win32 binary here:

ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/mingw32/porters/Mikey/sh-utils112-ming.tar.bz2