Re: [Mingw-users] Re: Make configuration for Win32.

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: Make configuration for Win32.
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:51:25 -0400

%% "Manu" <address@hidden> writes:

  m> Luke Dunstan wrote :

  >> I don't quite understand what is wrong with _WIN32,

  m> Just for information, and because I discussed before with Mr
  m> Richard Stallman, one of the creators of make and other famous
  m> softwares. (a very kind person BTW).  The problem is ideologic, Mr
  m> Stallman considers the term "Win" as a hacker term that makes the
  m> apology, in a sense, of a proprietary software: Windows.

Not exactly "apology"; a "win" to hackers means a good, very
satisfactory/satisfying solution:

  http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/win.html

Undoubtedly MINGW makes it better, but the FSF still doesn't consider
Windows a win! :).

As I said before, eye-rolling is permitted if you feel so inclined, but
I'm not interested in getting into a debate on this subject.

Cheers!