Re: Calling submakes

From: Rob Tulloh
Subject: Re: Calling submakes
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:04:24 -0500

Roko,

GNU make is supposed to read the first rule that is not preceeded by a
'.' and
execute that as the default rule when invoked. In your case, this would
be the 'all'
rule so there should be no difference between 'make' and 'make all'. I
wonder if
your Makefile in your note is correct. I wrote one that looks like this:

SUBDIRS = one two three

.PHONY: $(SUBDIRS) all

all: $(SUBDIRS)

$(SUBDIRS):
        $(MAKE) -C $@

It works for both style invocations. I am using make 3.78.1 for my test.
Is this
problem particular to the version of make you are running?

Rob