RE: Dependencies and clean

From: BShah
Subject: RE: Dependencies and clean
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 18:15:54 +0100

I checked this out and I have to say its excellent as an approach. It is
clear to me how and why to use dependencies with this than as described in
the GNU make manual.

I do however have a question - I'm not that familiar with SED, so a few of
the SED commands confused me. I have looked in what manuals/books I have and
I am not sure what they are supposed to mean - can a SED wizard please
advise?

's/#.*//'               This is to remove make style comments from the
stream?
's/^[^:]*: *//' Remove everything to the last :?
's/ *\\$//'             Remove the trailing \ from a line.
'/^$/ d'                Delete any blank lines from the stream.
's/$/ :/'               Append a trailing : to all the lines.

In practise, the second expression is dangerous to use as it stands over a
whole file - it is common for Windows based compilers to use the drive
letter in a pathname which can cause a little trouble. I haven't entirely
worked around it as yet, however.

Many Thanks,
Bijal