Re: trying to understand poor performance of make + cygwin on W2K

From: Rob Tulloh
Subject: Re: trying to understand poor performance of make + cygwin on W2K
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 08:13:02 -0500

Please note that I found that Linux blows the doors off
of our builds on Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, and Win2K.
I see 2x faster times when building on Red Hat 6.2 on
i686 platforms. Maybe your problem is related to the platform and not the
tool?

You might also like to try the native Win32 port of GNU
make to see if that helps. Emulation through cygwin has
some cost associated with it. If you need the performance
boost, put the native port in and use your Cygwin tools with
it. Worth a try if you can afford the time to get it set up.Of course,
if you need all the new features of GNU make (e.g. the parallism
feature that Eli mentions), you are better off to stay with the Cygwin
version of the tool.

My $.02,

Rob