RE: $(shell) strips CRLF

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: $(shell) strips CRLF
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:14:55 -0400

%% "Bryan Miller" <address@hidden> writes:

  bm> I have read the documentation and noted the entry regarding s/\n/
  bm> /g.  The GNU Make manual is the most dogeared reference on my desk
  bm> outside of Johan's Perl Pocket Reference.  I guess my question
  bm> could have been more carefully worded.  Is there a similar way to
  bm> grab something from an OS call and not strip the new line
  bm> characters?  Paul says "no" so I will look for a solution outside
  bm> of make.

I think I'm not making myself clear :).

It doesn't matter whether there's a way to grab something from the OS
and put it into a make variable without stripping the newlines.

Why not?

Because even if you _have_ a variable with contents that contains
newlines, you can't _USE_ it for anything.  You can prove that to
yourself by making an internal variable with newlines using define, and
then trying to use it:

  define CONFIG_SPEC
  element * CHECKEDOUT
  element * /main/LATEST
  enddef

Now this variable $(CONFIG_SPEC) contains a real newline character.

So, that's why we're asking what you're trying to use the value for;
that is where you have to redesign your approach, not where you try to
read the value in.

Have fun!

-----
[1] Actually, I can think of _one_ legal thing you could do with it, but
    it's not what you want to do :).

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/