mailman

Re: [gnu.org #1250610] Mailman file ownership problems

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: [gnu.org #1250610] Mailman file ownership problems
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 18:53:25 +0200

On 15/02/18 19:22, Ian Kelling via RT wrote:
> On Thu Nov 16 13:26:32 2017, iank wrote:
>> On Fri Nov 03 15:16:52 2017, rwp wrote:
>>> Hello Sysadmin,
>>>
>>> Francisco Vila CC'd has reported a permission problem due to ownership
>>> when trying to edit the html for the lilypond-es mailing list.
>>>
>>> The problem seems to be an ownership problem on lists.
>>>
>>> lists:/var/log/mailman$ ll /var/lib/mailman/lists/lilypond-
>>> es/es/listinfo.html
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 list list 4513 2010-01-01 20:38
>>> /var/lib/mailman/lists/lilypond-es/es/listinfo.html
>>>
>>> In order to write it from the web it needs to be user www-data.  For
>>> example here is a working listing.
>>>
>>> lists:/var/log/mailman$ ll
>>> /var/lib/mailman/lists/coreutils/en/listinfo.html
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 www-data list 4181 2017-11-03 14:55
>>> /var/lib/mailman/lists/coreutils/en/listinfo.html
>>>
>>> The full details are forwarded below.
>>>
>>> Could you repair the ownership of that list?  It probably needs more
>>> than just that one file changed.  Please double check the directory
>>> against a known good list and fix the set of whatever ownership needs
>>> to be adjusted.
>>>
>>> And then please check the entire collection of mailing lists to catch
>>> any others that are also like this?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Bob
>>>
>>> ----- Forwarded message from Francisco Vila <address@hidden> -----
>>>
>>> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 11:56:40 +0100
>>> From: Francisco Vila <address@hidden>
>>> To: address@hidden
>>> Subject: [savannah-help-public] Mailman bug after editing HTML
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am the maintainer of a list in lists.gnu.org. I'd like to contact
>>> the
>>> webmaster of lists.gnu.org because I reach an error page after trying
>>> edit some code in the presentation page.
>>>
>>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/edithtml/lilypond-es/listinfo.html
>>>
>>> Bug in Mailman version 2.1.21
>>>
>>> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>>>
>>> Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
>>> traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
>>> but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.
>>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>>
>>> Please forgive me if this is not the right place to contact the
>>> webmaster.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hi Francisco,
>>
>> Thank you for the report. We are planning to upgrade mailman in the next
>> week or two and hope to fix this as part of that upgrade. I will let you
>> know when it is fixed.
>>

> The mailman upgrade has been delayed a bit, solely due to other
> things poping up. We are still planning to get to it, but I've given
> Bob the ability to fixup the file ownership problems in the meantime,
> so Bob, please do as you suggested on your own, and let me know
> if you don't have time or any other issue.

Hello all. Just a gentle remainder that the problem still seems to be
there. I have waited because didn't want to look like a troll but it's
been 7 months since November.

I'm surprised that nobody else has noticed the issue. Am I the only one
which has edited the welcome page HTML in a list, hit OK and obtained an
error?

Thanks.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)