mailman

Re: Administrative access to address@hidden

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Administrative access to address@hidden
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 11:35:10 -0700

Please keep the group (mailman AT gnu.org) in the recipient list.
That way the other members of the group can participate and help too.
Since I am simply one of the team members.

> > > Cyril Adrian passed me administrative access to mailing list
> > > address@hidden
> > Awesome.

I should also have said that the entire collection of mailing lists at
lists.gnu.org are also maintained by the "Listhelper" team.  We
discard spam and approve valid messages routinely.  Therefore my best
advice is that you don't need to take any specific action there.  You
can read about Listhelper here:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/ListHelperAntiSpam/

Unfortunately Mailman sends all of the moderator messages to the list
owner address as well.  I recommend filtering all of those mailman
message out of your mailbox.  They are not useful.  The best
recommendation I have is to set the mailing list address to the
listhelper team catch-all address listhelper-moderate AT nongnu.org
address.  That keeps the administrivia messages out of your mailbox.

However regardless of all of this you are of course welcome to help
with your own project mailing list.  Many hands make light work!  Just
know that there are more of us helping and so you are not alone with
the full work load of the task.

> I can access to my personal account settings. I tried to use the same
> credentials (email and password) to access the administrative area, but I
> get " *Authorization failed.*"

Your personal account settings would use your personal account
password.  To log into the mailing list administrative area you need
to use the mailing list admistrative password.

You said that Cyril Adrian passed you administrative access to mailing
list and so I can only assume that is the password to it.  Since that
is all there is to have administrative access.  Is that right?  Did
Cyril give you the password for the mailing list?  If so then use that
password to access the list administration area.  If not then that is
the missing information you need.

If the password is lost then it can be reset through a different web
interface.  I see you are an administrator for the project on the
Savannah site.  From there it can trigger an automated password reset
of the associated mailing list password.  Log into the Savannah site
and go to your project page:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/liberty-eiffel

Select [Mailing lists] from the navigation menu.  Select [Configure]
from that sub-menu.  On that page you will find this checkbox:

  Reset List Admin Password:
  [ ] Requested - this will have no effect if this list is not managed by
Mailman via Savane

Check that box and submit it.  It will trigger an automated password
reset from Mailman sent the mailing list owner.  Your address is
listed as the mailing list owner and so it will go to you.  This
happens immediately (which I say because other actions wait for an
hourly cron run but this one happens immediately).  Look for that
email with a new mailing list password.  You can use it to log in and
if you wish you may set a different password at that point.

Hope this helps!

Bob