mailman

Re: address@hidden

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: address@hidden
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 15:30:06 -0600

Hello Richard,

Richard Price wrote:
> I wish to UN-subscribe from this list.
> But there is no obvious way to do so.
> Please help.

I have manually unsubscribed you from the list.  Thank you for writing
to the mailing list admins for help.  (Instead of to the mailing
list as so many other people often do.)  Writing to the admins for
help is great.  That is what we are here for.

You are off the list now and should have received the unsubscribe
message.  But since we are chatting let me talk a little about how
this works.  I don't want the mailing lists to be frustrating.  A few
hints about subscribing and unsubscribing.

Normally a user subscribes themself to the mailing list.  Therefore
they will unsubscribe themselves too.  The mailing list robot takes
care of all of that automatically.  The robot address for most mailing
lists (of all different types) is almost always the -REQUEST address.
For example address@hidden will get you to the robot.
It handles subscriptions.  It also handles unsubscriptions.  If a
message with "unsubscribe" in the subject or the body is sent to that
address it will send a confirmation request.  The confirmation request
is the security that keeps spammers from taking over the system. Reply
to the confirmation request keeping the confirmation code intact (just
a simply reply and send should do it) and it will unsubscribe you.

Also there is a web interface available.  Here is the location for the
social-discuss list.  There is a button at the bottom labeled
"Unsubscribe or edit options".  From there it will give you an
unsubscribe button, password reminder buttons, and so on.  If all else
fails you can get everything you need from this starting point.

Although we have the mailman mailing list for things related to
mailman most mailing lists have the -OWNER address.  The -OWNER
address reaches the mailing list human owners.  Since each project may
have their own owner that would reach the one specific for that list.
In this case it would be address@hidden to reach mattl
who is the owner of social-discuss.

The case of -OWNER or -owner or -request and so forth is not
significant.  I am just highlighting it to shiow how it fits into the
email address.

And there you go.  A little window into the mailing lists!

Hope that helps!

Bob