mailman

Re: [gpsd-users] Mails do not appear

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Mails do not appear
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 22:49:31 GMT

Hi Benedikt,

Sorry for the troubles.  I saw your various messages in the queue
yesterday and I passed through all the ones I saw (despite the
redundancy, since I didn't want there to be a question about why some
made it and others didn't).

It is normal for there to be a delay the first time any given address
posts to a list, whether it is subscribed or not (spammers know how to
subscribe).

I think part of the issue here is that the creator of that list, Eric
Raymond, disabled our usual mechanisms and thus he probably simply
hadn't gotten around to processing the queue for a few days.

Plain text vs. HTML isn't relevant, in general.  The conversion from
HTML to plain text is usually off (it is for gpsd-users), because there
is too much potential for error.  Even though HTML mail is awful in our
world :).

Hope this helps somewhat to explain the problems.

Best,
Karl