m16c-dev

Re: [M16C-dev] The Beginner. (was: Hello, anybody here?)

From: Grant Edwards
Subject: Re: [M16C-dev] The Beginner. (was: Hello, anybody here?)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:12:47 -0500

>> Nothing in the mailing list archive since April.  Is this
>> project still breathing?
>
> I just joined this list last week, when I bought a board with
> OAKS16 M16C kit in here Tokyo.
>
> The board came with evaluation version of C compiler and
> everything seemed to be for Windows only.

Yup.  I talked to Tasking, and even they don't sell an M16C
toolchain for Linux (though they used to for Solaris/SPARC -- I
don't know if they still do).  I couldn't find anybody else
(Keil, IAR, etc.) who sold Linux hosted tools at all.

> As I banned Windows at home and I plan work with M16C as a
> hobby I some tought time till I could make it working with
> Linux on Alpha.
>
> It seems that only flasher I found is
>
>   http://www.lostintheether.net/electronics/m16c_flash.html

Thanks, I hadn't run across that yet.

> I also downloaded asl-1.41r8.tar.gz from
>
>   http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/devel/lang/assemblers/

And I hadn't found that yet either!

> Unfortunetelly OAKS and Mitsubishi is totally into Windows,
> and there are no specs for the KD30 debugger that is built in
> the OAKS kit.

Yes, I noticed that Mitsubishi much more Windows oriented than
the sister group at Hitachi.  I've been evaluating a bunch of
different processors for a project, and the M16C looks like it
fits the best, but it's also the only one of the half-dozen
processors I'm looking at that doesn't have Linux development
tools available. :(

> I will definitelly not use Windows to use M16C, so I will
> wait or fix some bugs if I can.

I'd prever Linux, but I'll use Windows if I have to.

> I may start with a more functional flasher. C compiler and
> debugger is too big for me - I am working on it just a few
> ours a month.

I think I'm going to start on an M16C machine description for
GCC.  Assuming Hr. Kessler is still working on porting
binutils, I should be able to work on a GCC port in parallel.

--
Grant Edwards
address@hidden