lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] the frustration of this kind of advice, was about user agent

From: Karen Lewellen
Subject: [Lynx-dev] the frustration of this kind of advice, was about user agent headers
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 05:21:22 -0500 (EST)

Travis,
Please do not ever advise anyone to tamper with a file associated with a shared service like the one we have here. I am expressing this because right now I am experiencing what happens when someone, not myself, does this kind of tampering and not knowing what they are doing, creates problems for everyone.
First our lynx startfile  disappeared entirely..for two days.
then when it returned, it came to a start page that does not work fully with lynx, all the items provided lead to YouTube, which as others have noted no longer really works with lynx at all. Its 5 a. m. I have been up all night waiting until I can call our admin because either we have a security risk, or the same person tampering with lynx has also changed the browser associated with email accounts, meaning I am not going to get any work done today either. Do not ever even hint that I am unwilling to help myself. tampering with config files that are provided by shared hosting services like this ought to be a crime. dreamhost does not even understand how lynx works at all, I provided them with a trace file showing how I cannot reach our work control panel, and even though they duplicated the problem they could, or would not fix the issue. Its one reason why I happily pay so much for shellworld, I can get my work done, at least when no one is damaging the services here.
Karen