lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] shebang URL hash - #!

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] shebang URL hash - #!
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 20:33:18 +0100

On 27/10/2021 19:06, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
Tell them it requires ECMAscript and therefore violates basic
accessibility principles.

Unfortunately, the W3C web accessibility initiative hasn't taken that position for many years, and as most legislation that is prescriptive on standards uses their web content accessibility guide, EcmaScript dependent pages are generally fully legal.

(My take on this is that WCAG membership is mainly accessibility consultants, and consultants need solutions that are acceptable to businesses, or they will be out of business themselves.)

I actually note the OP wanted an accessible way of using YouTube. I think Alphabet's lawyers will have convinced themselves that the standard web page is legally accessible.

Also, the intent of these links is, as I understand it, that no HTML fetch should actually happen, but rather that the loaded EcmaScript should generate a new document object model resulting in a changed page layout. Although the fallback might be fully functional, if I wanted to do that I would use a straightforward URI, and have the scripting intercept it. I'd therefore expect the fallback page, in many cases, to only be suitable for use by Google's search engine.