lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] deselected radiobuttons

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: [Lynx-dev] deselected radiobuttons
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 18:34:25 +0000 (UTC)

I’m currently in an accessibility support case with AO3, another,
usually more lynx-friendly website. They however refuse to actively
support lynx, and they broke their filter form in a subtle way.

lynx currently implements this standard:

 >    At all times, exactly one of the radio buttons in a set is checked.
 >    If none of the <INPUT> elements of a set of radio buttons specifies
 >    `CHECKED', then the user agent must check the first radio button of
 >    the set initially.
 >
 > https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1866.html#section-8.1.2.4

This used to be a good thing until the idiots who possibly weren’t
even born when the web first became a thing changed it. I was cited…

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/input.html#radio-button-state-(type=radio)

   If none of the radio buttons in a [2055]radio button group are
   checked, then they will all be initially unchecked in the interface,
   until such time as one of them is checked (either by the user or by
   script).

This is the end result of an intermediate solution in the (IIRC) HTML 4
language which makes the result of not checking any radiobuttons of a
group in the HTML undefined. So, an incompatible change staged over many
years.

I therefore ask you to change the behaviour of lynx as follows:

• make the concept of a radiobutton group where no member if checked
  a thing (handle correctly)
• add a functionality to uncheck a checked radiobutton (both to test
  this and to one-up the GUI browsers, which don’t implement this);
  it may very well be typing colon + “unselect” on a radiobutton (and
  checkbox, for consistency), it probably should not be the default
  action (of Enter/Return or Cur→)
• if no radiobutton is selected in the HTML, retain this instead of
  selecting the first one

Thanks in advance,
//mirabilos
--
Gestern Nacht ist mein IRC-Netzwerk explodiert. Ich hatte nicht damit
gerechnet, darum bin ich blutverschmiert… wer konnte ahnen, daß SIE so