lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] ANN: lynx2.9.0dev.7

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] ANN: lynx2.9.0dev.7
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 08:52:21 -0600

Today, I successfully rebuilt and installed lynx2.9.0dev.7 with the
--with-ssl option on 23 platforms; the only build failures were on old
CentOS 5 systems that lack needed support libraries.

I did not remember to use the --with-ssl option on my first round of
automated builds, so I had to redo them with that option.

Given that the Web world is rapidly moving to https:, rather than
http:, connections by default, with major GUI browsers forcing that
move, would it not make good sense for the next release of lynx to
make --with-ssl the default, and allow --without-ssl as an option to
suppress https support?

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -