lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] How to patch in source files?

From: Magnus Anderson
Subject: [Lynx-dev] How to patch in source files?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 20:58:59 -0600

I'm trying to slightly modify some aspects of lynx to make the user
interface more to my liking (specifically, I want links to be numbered by
letters, not numbers, so that I can use lynx with my custom hotkeys the
same way I use my regular browser. Might later try to add copy-paste
support or something else too).

What I'm stuck on is that when I run the `configure` script, it generates
makefiles that only compile the regular lynx code. If I edit src/makefile's
OBJS variable and add my pathed-in files, then everything works (well, lynx
compiles. I'm still working on the lettered links). This is fine for my
personal use, although it's annoying. However if I ever want to distribute
the change then it probably isn't good to use a hack like that.

Also, somewhere while finding this mailing list I read that there is an
official way to share lynx patches (something about diff -u). Where can I
find these patches, or submit one? I was planning on just creating a
repository on github or something, but it would probably be good to also do
it in the official way, and I'm also curious what other patches exist.