lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Why doesn't lynx cache newyorker.com home page?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Why doesn't lynx cache newyorker.com home page?
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 16:04:40 +0000

On 09/12/2020 14:23, russellbell@gmail.com wrote:
That's not it.  It's not close to full, pages accessed after
it are in the cache, it's smaller than many of the articles on
newyorker.com that I accessed after it that are in the cache.  If I go
backwards with the left arrow it's jumped over.

What HTTP headers are being returned to Lynx? Given the nature of the page, I would imagine that The New Yorker would want to set very short cache expiries, or stop caching entirely.

Looking at the response that Firefox gets, it has cache-control=no-cache, but no modification date or entity tag. The cache-control means the browser is expected to revalidate the page, but the lack of the other two seem to rule out a conditional fetch, so it probably does have to fetch the whole page.

However, I don't know how Lynx handles this.