lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Better display for link rel="alternate" possible?

From: Terence Eden
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Better display for link rel="alternate" possible?
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 14:27:09 +0000

Lynx correctly displays the title tag on `<link rel="alternate" ...>`
meta elements.

If the element does not contain a title, Lynx just displays
"alternate". This makes browsing some sites a bit confusing. See
https://mobile.twitter.com/edent/status/1332994189408301057/photo/1

Would it be possible to display the content of the hreflang if there's no title?
That way, the user will see the language code, which I think is more
helpful than just a long list of "alternate".

This could also be extended to things like
`link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml"``
which could proactively tell the user that the link is to Atom, RSS,
or whatever.

I know that websites should use the title attribute. But, given that
they don't, I think this would make browsing with Lynx a little bit
better.

I'm not familiar enough with C to make the changes to this. Is #403 in
HTMLGen.c the right place to be looking?

Thanks!