lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] New response to lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] New response to lynx
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 22:47:15 +0000

On 09/11/2020 22:31, dan d. wrote:
Recently I got something similar and they said this was the reason the page was
being blocked to me.--

Has anyone else seen this?

I would say that would be the main reason for blocking Lynx explicitly, although I would have thought it unusual to be so honest about it.

For most web sites, you are the product, and if you are not compatible with the sorts of adverts that their ad-servers serve, you are a defective product.

The other reason for a conscious decision to block Lynx was its ability to be used in bulk downloading. Firstly because it may be used to read offline, without the adverts, and secondly because they are afraid you might save the data content for offline use, and therefore not come back repeatedly, for more helpings of adverts, or may even use them as the basis of your own web site.