lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Lynx seems to ignore file extensions with temp downloads on g

From: Wayne Werner
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Lynx seems to ignore file extensions with temp downloads on gopher protocol I types
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 22:13:20 +0000

I've been playing around with Gopher recently, which is an amazing
protocol and I love that Lynx supports gopher!

But I discovered some weirdness. When there's an (I)mage listed and you
simply hit enter -- over HTTP this would kick off my external image
viewer -- but with gopher it looks like it always tries to treat
(I)mages as (g)if. An example, if you go to `lynx
gopher://rpod.leveck.us/` and hit enter on the PHOTO OF THE SERVERS
image link, which is a jpg, it names the temp file .gif.

Downloading the image works fine, and it respects the filename.

My version info:

Lynx Version 2.8.9dev.16 (11 Jul 2017)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, GNUTLS 3.5.17, ncurses 6.1.20180127(wide)
Built on linux-gnu.

Is this expected behavior, or am I running into a bug here?

Thanks!
-Wayne