lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] torsocks socks5 and lynx

From: Fadi Barbàra
Subject: [Lynx-dev] torsocks socks5 and lynx
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 09:19:40 +0100

Hi Everybody,

I am using lynx for my day to day browsing. Recently I started to use
TOR. I am using the developing branch of lynx, so that i can use the
option -socks5-proxy.

I wanted to compare the socks5 option of lynx with the torsocks option.
Unfortunately, the command

    lynx -socks5-proxy=127.0.0.1:9050 $site

does work, while the command

    torsocks lynx $site

does not. I think there is a DNS problem in the latter case: when I use
the command

   torsocks lynx 79.125.108.55

(a Duckduckgo ip address) lynx finds the site, but then it prints the
message "Alert: impossible to access document" when it is redirected.

I think I have a problem with lynx, because e.g. the command

    torsocks curl duckduckgo.com

works as expected. Have you some ideas on how to debug it?

My system is OpenBSD, but I do not know how to print the options used for
compilation of lynx: can you point me to some reference?

thank you in advance,
disnocen