lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] error calling external editor on file directly, but not from

From: Edward McGuire
Subject: [Lynx-dev] error calling external editor on file directly, but not from directory editor
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 13:57:56 -0600

Lynx 2.8.9rel1.1 (08 Jul 2018), downloaded today from
"ftp://ftp.invisible-island.net/lynx/lynx-newssl-setup.exe";
    Editor option = C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim81\vim.exe
OpenSSL 1.1.1d 32-bit, downloaded today from
"http://slproweb.com/download/Win32OpenSSL_Light-1_1_1d.exe";
Vim 8.1.1 32-bit
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

When I browse to document "C:\Users\Edward\Google
Drive\lynx\index.html" and press "e" to call the external editor, the
editor does not appear. A message appears:
    Alert!: Error spawning editor, check your editor definition in the
options menu
Trace shows the system call to be:
    LYSystem(C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim81\vim.exe +3
"C:\Users\Edward\Google Drive\lynx\index.html")
When I manually feed this command line to a command prompt, the
resulting message shows that argument 0 (the path to the executable)
is not properly quoted:
    'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

But when I browse to the containing directory "C:\Users\Edward\Google
Drive\lynx" and press "e" from the directory editor, the external
editor works as expected. Trace shows the system call to be:
    LYSystem(C:\PROGRA~2\Vim\vim81\vim.exe "C:\Users\Edward\Google
Drive\lynx\index.html")
This command works fine manually. The directory editor converts
argument 0 to a DOS path, which avoids the quoting problem.

An effective workaround is to use a DOS path when defining the editor
in the options menu.

If I have understood the problem correctly, then I suggest that the
external editor path should be quoted (or converted to a DOS path)
when calling the external editor in any context, not just in the
context of the directory editor.

Cheers!
Edward