lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Suggestion for send user-agent header question

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Suggestion for send user-agent header question
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 18:41:37 +0100

On 13/08/2019 17:08, Mouse wrote:
Why pick on [lynx users]?  Did a lynx eat their pet dog when they
were children?
I have seen it said - with what level of truth I know not - that there
is misbehaved scraper malware out there that pretends to be lynx.  If
this is true, then I suspect that a connection claiming to be lynx is
statistically more likely to be malware than a real user.:-(

More likely is that Lynx is being used to do the scraping.

However it doesn't have to be what is normally understood as malware. Anything that makes advertising ineffective, e.g. downloading for offline searching, re-publishing, or just generally using a non-graphical browser will be a commercial problem for most web sites. In particularly people seem to mention news sites. The news is there to attract people to advertising.