lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] making lynx render œ as oe

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] making lynx render œ as oe
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 08:25:39 -0600

        'A diff showing the complete change would let someone test
it...'
        I've made dozens of changes over the years.  I had hoped that
the rule for this was simple.  I just installed package (Slackware)
lynx to remind myself of this history.  Package lynx renders

        œ as ½
        Œ as ¼
        Œ as  ¼
        œ as  ½
        ½ as 1/2
        ¼ as 1/4

338 (0x152) is the number for OE ligature; 339 (0x153) is the number
for oe ligature.  ¼ is 188 (0xBC); ½ is 189 (0xBD).  I can't find
those characters in the source: how did lynx emit them?  ISO-8859-15
is part of my configuration; in ISO-8859-1 (and ASCII) oelig is
rendered as oe , but 338 & 339 are still ¼ and ½ .

        I started this effort to recruit my available high-bit
characters (easy) as well as get them not rendered for oelig.  Do
others not have this problem?  Years go by without encountering oe
ligature for me.  (Apologies to francophones)

russell bell

BTW: notice how Zcaron, zcaron, Scaron, Yuml are rendered - I had no
problem 'fixing' those.