lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] compile 2.8.8.02 with ncurses 6.0 segment violation

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] compile 2.8.8.02 with ncurses 6.0 segment violation
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 20:31:52 -0500

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 05:56:26PM +0100, Thomas Seeling wrote:
> Hallo,
>

> I am currently playing with a DIY linux system (LFS 7.10).
> This worked fine with default settings from the LFS book for ncurses.
>
> Then I tried to tweak some settings and Lynx started to bail out with
> segment violations. I tracked with gdb to the first call to pnoutrefresh
> in ncurses lib.
>
> Backtracking my changes to the configuration showed me that
> --enable-widec in ncurses configure settings caused Lynx to die.
>
> Since I'm in Germany I'd like to use charsets which contain all of the
> funny german special characters. What am I doing wrong? Is something
> missing so that --enable-widec doesn't work or is this a known problem?
> Or is this me completely misunderstanding what "widec" means?
>
> What I did:
> cd ~/ncurses-6.0
> ./configure [switches]
> make clean && make && make install && ldconfig
> cd ~/lynx2-8-8
> ./configure [switches]
> make clean && make && make install
> lynx https://www.kernel.org
>
> working lynx configure settings (for me) were
>   --disable-color-style
>   --disable-trace
>   --enable-nls
>   --with-ssl
>   --with-pkg-config
>   --disable-ipv6
>   --with-screen=ncurses

I'd try this:

--with-screen=ncursesw6

I mentioned that in the INSTALLATION file for lynx:

        For the ncurses/ncursesw options, the script also accepts variants
        such as "ncursesw6", which helps it to find a specific ncurses config
        script.

since if you have ncurses6, it's going to be the wide-character flavor
anyway.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net