lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Few suggestions to improve the UI.

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Few suggestions to improve the UI.
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 19:20:13 -0600

[Addressing out-of-order as that's how my responses congealed in my
head]

On 2016-11-22 05:10, Ashutosh Sharma wrote:
> 2. Auto detection of protocol. e.g. duckduckgo.com should
> automatically redirect to http://www.duckduckgo.com. eLinks already
> has this feature.

It does?  I just issued

  $ lynx duckduckgo.com

and it properly redirected following all the specs, ending up at
https://duckduckgo.com/lite/ which is where I'd want & expect to be
(and coincidentally, where elinks takes me too).  Same correct
behavior occurs when I use the "g" command within a running copy of
lynx to enter the url of just "duckduckgo.com".

DDG seems to do some user-agent sniffing, detecting that Lynx is
running.  If I use the Options menu to change the user-agent to, say,

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/47.0

DDG instead redirects to https://duckduckgo.com with no subdomain.

> 4. Also if the horizontal nav being displayed properly
> (horizontally) would be helpful.

One of the things I like about Lynx is how it linearizes things,
rather than trying to stack them up horizontally.  If you want
a more visual rendering, lynx may not be the browser for you.

> 5. While navigating pagewise(using space or numpad) one or two
> lines should be repeated as it keeps you in context.

I could see adding this as an option, but I almost never want this.
Vim set this as the default (a non-zero 'scrolloff' setting) in the
recent 8.0 release and I think it was an unfortunate mistake as it
changed long-standing default behavior.  I don't mind having the
option to turn off such context in the event someone wants it, but
changing the default from the current behavior would irk me.

> 3. Streaming audio through command line players like mocp.

This would depend entirely on the protocol.  I've had the occasional
site where I download something like a .m3u play-list file which can
then be handed off to an appropriate player.  I'd expect Lynx to
adhere to the Unix philosophy of doing one thing (browsing) well, and
handing off the audio playback/management to an external utility.
I believe Lynx honors the ~/.mailcap file so you can specify what to
launch when you get a streaming URL's MIME-type.

> 1. The navigation part of many sites becomes extensively long and
> makes it difficult to access the important content on sites. If the
> lists with class="*-nav" or id="nav" could be condensed into one
> link and expanded on selection, it would make a huge difference in
> the user experience.

Perhaps you could expound on this, as I'm a bit unclear on what
you're talking about.  I have occasionally wished for a "jump to the
next/previous H1-6 tag" or similar DOM-related navigation
functionality, which could conceivably also offer a similar
navigation between particularly-tagged items (whether by class or id
attribute).  As far as I know, Lynx doesn't offer anything like this,
so I'd love to see this come to

-tim