lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] file://localhost/usr/share/doc/packages/lynx/lynx_help/ly

From: Krzysztof Żelechowski
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] file://localhost/usr/share/doc/packages/lynx/lynx_help/lynx-dev.html
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 01:40:38 +0100

Użytkownik Thomas Dickey napisał:
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:38:12PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
The Lynx help page [1] contains a broken hyperlink "about lynx.cfg" [2].
This can easily be fixed on the server side;
in the future, do not include metadata in URL paths for crucial resources.

Also, trying to download the recent release.bz2
results in the contents of the release being dumped onto the terminal.
Not nice.

Please fix,
well, first I have to see what you're referring to.  The original
source (which is the subject of this mailing list) doesn't contain

        file://localhost/usr/share/doc/packages/lynx/lynx_help/lynx-dev.html
        file:///usr/share/doc/packages/lynx/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html

easily checked by looking for "packages" in the html files.

You may be referring to a given package (Linux or *BSD).
lynx-2.8.7-8.1.i586, "packages" is %_defaultdocdir

However, you may be specifically referring to the part of the url that
has the version number (because that corresponds to a directory name).
I suppose if you're attempting to review old configuration details, it
can be a nuisance trying to use the "release" url.  I added a symbolic
link to smooth that out.
Actually, a "Moved permanently" redirect would be more appropriate, but otherwise works as prescribed, thanks a lot.

The issue with ".bz2" also depends on whether support for
bzip2 is compiled in, or configured with an external program - or neither.
For instance, it works "here".

Chris

___
[1]<URL: file:///usr/share/doc/packages/lynx/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html>
2.8.6 is the previous release (October 2006).

[2]<URL: http://lynx.isc.org/release/lynx2-8-6/lynx_help/cattoc.html>
2.8.7 is current (July 2009).
This url works:

   [2]<URL: http://lynx.isc.org/release/lynx2-8-7/lynx_help/cattoc.html>
But the problem is, the URL with 8-6 is installed in the local documentation for v2.8.7. The documentation on line has a relative URL there so it does not matter.

Chris