lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANG

From: Chuck Houpt
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGUAGE
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:15:09 -0400

At 9:26 PM +0000 4/22/07, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
Chuck Houpt dixit:

 I'd like to propose/submit the attached patch, which makes Lynx use the
LANG/LANGUAGE environment variables to generate the preferred document language
 setting (PREFERRED_LANGUAGE).

Vote against.

//mirabile
--

Could you explain a little? Is there a problem with the general idea (run-time setting of PREFERRED_LANGUAGE) or the specific implementation (using LANG/LANGUAGE)?

I can see there might be issues with the implementation - overloading the meaning of LANG/LANGUAGE might cause existing scripts to break, etc.

A less entangled implementation might be to define a new environment variable (ex: LYNX_PREFERRED_LANGUAGE) to override the default. Or maybe a command-line option.

I'm happy to adjust the implementation.

- Chuck