lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Supported HTML TAG <div> ??

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Supported HTML TAG <div> ??
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:51:22 -0500

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:42:41AM +0100, Bernhard Frühmesser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found a page which looks really good in graphical design so i wanted
> to "copy" a few things from the html code, the page is fully XHTML 1.0
> compatible and the page works fine with all graphical browsers, but
> within lynx the navigaion menu isn´t shown.
>
> I searched the web for info if maybe the tag div isn´t supported by
> lynx. I know since the png files are images lynx doesn´t show them, but
> is there a way that the links can be shown in lynx?

Lynx doesn't implement style sheets.  Quoting from the HTML 4.0 documentation:

   The DIV and SPAN elements, in conjunction with the id and class
   attributes, offer a generic mechanism for adding structure to
   documents. These elements define content to be inline (SPAN) or
   block-level (DIV) but impose no other presentational idioms on the
   content. Thus, authors may use these elements in conjunction with
   style sheets, the lang attribute, etc., to tailor HTML to their own
   needs and tastes.

What you're showing appears to fall into that category: things not in
HTML 4.0 which may be associated with DIV/SPAN.