lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Strange table behaviour with example spam x2 and other br

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Strange table behaviour with example spam x2 and other browsers
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:59:06 -0800

Rado S wrote:

> I use lynx as html-filter for mutt. Recently I saw a spam-mail
> that looked as if it was a stereogram (imagine how surprised I was
> to see this in spam! ;).
> After giving up finding the hidden message, I tried other
> browsers, believing it was designed for some special system.
>
> Much to surprise and disappointment, firefox + links + w3m all
> displayed the spam different from lynx, and with the new
> perspective it was clear that it was _no_ stereogram but just
> badly broken up table cells.
>
> See yourself:
> http://www.ghb-hamburg.de/rado/spam.html
> http://www.ghb-hamburg.de/rado/spam2.html
>
> Now, why do those other browsers show 2 rows as 1, so that the
> spam is actually readable there while lynx shows the 2 rows as 2,
> which makes it hard to recognize as spam?

That's not a bug, it's a feature!  ;-}

I much prefer Lynx's presentation.  It is instantly obvious that it's
some sort of useless spam, and as a bonus, I don't even have to sully my
eyes with knowledge of what they're selling.

BTW, two `w3m` versions I have laying around also fail.  0.1.11-pre
(2000) looks a lot like Lynx.  0.5.1 (Cygwin, 2005) manages to integrate
the stuff vertically, but spacing is still crazy, resulting in garbage
like "W o rl dwi d e D i sc ree t Sh  ip p in g".

T he pu r vey o rs o f t h is g ar b age s ho u ld b e l i n ed up a nd
sh ot.