lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:24:07 +0900 (JST)

> You are right.  Henry mix two completely different concepts: source cache
> is used for browser' presentation purposes only, the document already
> received - it is not a server business whether you will include links to
> images or exclude them or change from one to another...
> While the proxy is HTTP agent, it should follow HTTP/1.x expiration model -
> check timestamps, interpret several HTTP headers (for example, http server

Thanks, Leonid, you're exactly right.  I've got "source cache" (actually,
simply storing a file) and "cacheing proxy" mixed up.

> The waste of resources is minimal: by default, lynx caches last 10 documents
> (HText) in memory, source cache will cache .html either (if stored in
> memory, it doubles the memory usage in a worst case).  Compare with MSIE
> which stores hundreds and hundreds of images and pages as temp files.

This is the model (store on disk versus in memory) I was trying to implement,
but not being a programmer all I do is "cut-n-paste."  Takes time, and never
works very well anyway.  I'm just going to shut up on this one until I get
time to recompile a stock Lynx.  Very sorry for all the confusion.

__Henry