lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 19:40:46 -0400

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:22:29PM -0700, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 05:16:24PM -0400, Chuck Martin wrote:
> > >
> > > A thought just occured to me.  Perhaps it was https:// instead of
> > > http:// where I was seeing this problem.  Is that what you're saying
> > > here?  And if so, is there a reason why the source cache isn't used
> > > for https://?
> >
> > probably because it was overlooked.
>
> Isn't there a security problem with caching secure files? I would hope
> that we wouldn't do that unless we could assure that the cached item was
> as secure as when viewing the original file.

possibly - I can vaguely recall some discussion, but not the point which was
made.

Perhaps I'm thinking of the issue with password-protected pages which would
require reprompting if caching isn't used.

Since the server doesn't know that the user wants to look at the source, it
wouldn't make sense to refuse viewing source in conditions where a reload
wouldn't lose the page contents.  That's just my opinion though (it's something
to investigate and see though).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net