lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (shellAcct times out!)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:45:42 -0500

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:39:24AM -0500, David Combs wrote:
> So, when my *connection* (to the isp) times
> out, I'm automatically logged-out, just as
> if I'd said "exit" a time or two.

That's exactly the situation screen was designed to handle.
Normally, when you log out or lose connection, the operating
system sends a "SIGHUP" (hangup signal) to all processes you
were running.  Their response is to die immediately, possibly
doing some clean-up first.  The screen program, however, responds
to that signal by merely detaching from the terminal session
and waiting in the background, along with any child processes
you started from within it.  When you log in the next time,
you just type "screen -r" (the -r means to reattach an existing
screen session instead of starting a new one), and you have
your screen session back, along with all of those programs you
started inside it.  This may not work, however, depending on
your ISP.  I know of at least one ISP that allows all features
of screen except that one, and will periodically (probably in
a cron job) kill all instances of screen that don't have a
corresponding login.

Chuck