lynx-dev

Re: Mailing list readership (was: Re: lynx-dev How to Lynx)

From: David Woolley
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 22:36:16 +0100 (BST)

> Are you sure MS exchnage and lookout really dominate most serious mailing
> lists? The signs are that most people reading bugtraq, which is a serious

Yes.  Obviously they dominate NTBUGTRAQ, which is the one that gets 80
while you were out mailbombs, but they also dominate the W3C mailing lists;
people who are involved professionally often have no choice because it is
the corporate standard for most organisations these days.

> mailing list by any standard, are Un*x users. This could be the nature of the
> list but I doubt there is vast "M$ user" audience for lynx-dev either. Quite a

Lynx-dev has an abnormal audience, but the number of M$ newbies tends to be
increasing.

> Sendmail, qmail, etc often have all the features of exchange the organisation

They don't have the selling psychology of Microsoft.

> Failure to understand Precedence: List sounds like M$ brain damage to me. A
> few

People have complained, but they've been told that, being a commercial
organisation, M$ only implements standards, not what the rest of the
world does.  Actually they normally mis-implement standards!

> automatic reply systems go further and fail to understand Precedence:
> completely and need replacing even more seriously.

I have a feeling that Exchange/Outlook doesn't understand Precedence at
all.