lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Wishlist item: semi-persistent session cookies

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Wishlist item: semi-persistent session cookies
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:27:51 -0500

At 10:44 PM 2002-02-15 , Henry Nelson wrote:
>> OK, here's what I have (against 2.8.4 release).
>> However, I didn't change the docs (yet), nor add it to the
>> options menu or .lynxrc [there don't currently seem to be
>> any integer-valued options in there] and although I did
>> add it to the list of options in the lynx.cfg parser I
>> didn't add it to the lynx.cfg file...
>
>Thanks.  Sorry that I'm c illiterate, but could you explain in what
>situation the code will kick in.  Is it only for when the -source option
>is set, or does it come on whenever cookies are on?  (The idea of
>"semi-persistent session cookies" sort of sends shivers down my spine.)

The clean model, to satisfy Henry, is that when Lynx is called as a module in a
larger computation, the session does not end when Lynx exits.  In this case, it
would seem that the way to handle this is that you pass a handle (filename) to
where you want the session cookies to be accumulating and the resulting state
of the session cookie jar is available for the use of the super-process, but
not something that gets picked up by the next execution of Lynx unless
explicitly passed back in in the form of a non-empty cookie jar.

In this case the session cookies live in a customer-process-furnished object
and not a Lynx-created-and-destroyed temporary object.

This is callability engineering not beyond what Lynx could absorb.

Al