lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx - Sound, Mail and Fury!

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx - Sound, Mail and Fury!
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:16:36 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Al Gilman wrote:

> >>Also, is there any way that Lynx can be used as a mail program?  I see
> >>that I can use C to send a comment to a web page owner (if this has been
> >>defined on that page), the "other" mail programs are terrible to use.

Lynx can send mail to a SMTP server when you activate a "mailto:"; URL.
The Windows version needs a separate application that forwards the mail
to the server. This may be "sendmail", "blat", or "blatj", depending on
how the binary was compiled and what options you specify.

> There is as I understand it no practical way to use Lynx as your mail program
> in the sense of collecting mail from a POP3 account and reading and replying
> with Lynx.  On the other hand, if you open up an account on a website that
> offers you a mailbox on their website, you can deal with the website with Lynx
> and send and receive mail that way.  For more information see

This is the only way I know for lynx to receive mail.

> >>Lynx is great because with the blynx cfg file, I got it to number the
> >>links - now I can see the links.

There are lots of options to configure lynx. To use it to its fullest,
you need to read through lynx.cfg and adjust the settings. For the
Windows version, ignore the section for VMS. The UNIX section applies,
even though Windows and Unix are different. The Windows port was
derived from the Unix version. You also need to go to the options
page and set those to your preferences, then save the options to your
lynx.rc file.
                       Doug
__
Doug Kaufman