lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Long URL on command line

From: Christopher Allen [BigFatPipe.Net]
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Long URL on command line
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:19:37 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > >Context:  I want to send a long URL on the command line and have the
> > >results
> > >dump-ed.  I'm currently using "/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump -nolist $url",

...snip...

> No, that would be the right advice for embedding a URL in HTML (as an HREF
> attribute value or otherwise), but not for the command line.
> Lynx would be wrong if it interpreted & that is part of a URL passed
> on the command line as &.

The catch (and somebody mentioned this) is that the & will background the
process at the command line.

Your $url variable would need to have the & character escaped... ex. \&.
If you're doing this from within something like a Perl script, and called:

$url = "http://your.server/cgi/dothis?action=something&reason=becauseisaidso";;
system("/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump -nolist $url");

The shell would receive that command as:

/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump -nolist
http://your.server/cgi/dothis?action=something&reason=becauseisaidso

and would execute it as two commands, the second of which should error
out:

/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump -nolist
http://your.server/cgi/dothis?action=something&;

reason=becauseisaidso

Now... if you changed the $url varilable to the following:

$url = "http://your.server/cgi/dothis?action=something\&reason=becauseisaidso";;

It would execute as:

/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump -nolist
http://your.server/cgi/dothis?action=something\&reason=becauseisaidso

And after your shell interprets the escaped character, Lynx would receive
the $ARGV values as:

$ARGV[0]        -dump
$ARGV[1]        -nolist
$ARGV[2]