lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Java version of Lynx

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Java version of Lynx
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:59:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Mehran Mehr wrote:
>With special thanks to John Brajkovic, David Woolley, Klaus Weide and
>Gregory J. Deckler.
>
>I am not good in english writing, I am a programmer, and I believe modular
>porogramming is better than spaghetti programming. Reading and
>understanding Lynx source-code needs some kind of reverse engineering!
>
>In order to save Lynx project, we should write its code again, more
>clearer. We can divide Lynx into many sub-projects, and in this way the
>core of Lynx will be small and readable.

I hope that this is not considered blasphemy by the Lynx developers.

>From what others have said, the "links" browser isn't easier to read (the
source code), but it is already *in some ways* more advanced than Lynx.
But it doesn't have many of the nice features of Lynx.

Maybe you're interested in looking at the "links" source code and helping
with that effort -- since links already does some things better than lynx,
making links better would seem to be a better effort than rewriting Lynx.

the links homepage is
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/
there's also a mailing list (low volume compared to this one).

So maybe you would want to help add features to links or make its source
code more readable (add comments, etc).