lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Still learning about what Goes Wrong.

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Still learning about what Goes Wrong.
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 08:37:36 +0100 (BST)

> There is another constructive solution: use Internet search engines
> with optional host= parameter and you will get several links
> from this particular site and be probably lucky on this way.

I'm not aware of any search engines indexers that can follow through
these sorts of links, so unless the site has real, but possibly hidden,
links they will only be indexed to the extent that others deep link to
them, or they submit internal pages to the search engine.  This could
be an other argument to use with the site.

> >         Assuming that there is a particular mechanism or the
> > abuse there of that is involved, does the w3c site say anything
> > about it?

The W3C web accessibility guidelines (priority 1, I think) say that
you must provide alternatives which don't use scripting.  Some publically
funded bodies in the US are currently trying to comply with the letter of
these, but most commercial sites consider accessibility an unnecessary
expense, which may make their sites less attractive.  Most sites,
including all the W3C consortium members I tried last week, don't seem
to even read the HTML syntax rules, so what W3C says has largely no
effect atl all; there is an early quote from Tim Beners-Lee that
colour has no place in HTML (in the supporting material for HTML 1)!