lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev reverse search

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reverse search
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:38:53 +0500 (SAMST)

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 01:53:00AM -0600, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> > I've been meaning to ask ...
> >
> > ... aside from the obvious "because nobody's coded it" answer, is there
> > any reason why there's no reverse search function?
>
> yes (the underlying issue is that the search would have to traverse a
> lot of structure, not simply plain text).
>
> > Yes, I know that a forward search "wraps", but that is often a PITA to
> > get where I want to go.
> >
> > Is anybody else interested in this, or is it just me?  If there's some
> > interest, I'll look into adding it (sorry, no Javascript insights ATT :-) ).
>
> I think a lot of people are interested, but few have time.

  Yes, this is obvious that everybody likes it.

  As for advices - I would recommend to use a rude hack first - remember
current position, then call function that searches forward until it wraps
(or virtually move to the start of document before the search and start
searching from that point) checking that current found location is above saved
position. Probably second iteration will be  needed to highlight exactly
previous location (or save the last position that was above original position
before each forward search, and check, whether the found position is above
original position). Very rude, but very easy.

> --
> Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
> http://dickey.his.com
> ftp://dickey.his.com