lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Patent on Hyperlinks (getting off topic)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patent on Hyperlinks (getting off topic)
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 10:17:02 +0100 (BST)

> IBM et al had puiblically avaiable journals for the purpose of publishing
> things they thought not worth patentng but wanted to prevent other people

IBM still have such journals, but they also include lists of new patents.
Most of what I've seen in them is probably also subject to patents.  IBM
run a US patent access web site.

British Telecom also used to have similar journals.  They still exist, but
they reveal a lot less and in some cases are just commercial awareness pep
talk for insiders, than before BT started to be (and was) privatised.
It looks as though BT's new style management is more afraid of leaking
intellectual property than IBM.

> patenting. Examples of things disclosed in these journals was time sharing
> (before that became popular). How you find these publications and whether
> they
I think you may find that time sharing was not invented by IBM.  Not quite
the same, but, in the early 1970s, IBM was touting the new technology of
virtual memory, but the British Atlas machine had already had this for many
years.