lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Fun with character attributes in xterm (was: UTF-8 display

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Fun with character attributes in xterm (was: UTF-8 display questions)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:51:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2000, Sergei Pokrovsky wrote:

> I think you can coerce xterm to use overstriking of the non-bold font,
> rather than a separate bold font, for 'bold'.  Of course the results
> would look less pretty.
>
> There is even the possibility that xterm would fall back to overstriking
> automatically, only for those characters that are not present in the
> bold font.  I've seen some dicussion of this somewhere, I am not sure
> whether it is implemented (and if yes, in which version, and how to
> turn it on if that's necessary).  Maybe Tom can help us out here.

there was some discussion, but iirc, I didn't implement that particular
detail since the underlying issue was an erroneous fall-through in a
case statement which I did fix.

> I don't know according to which logic text with 'blink' attribute ends
> up being displayed with the bold _font_, but apparently that's what
> is happening.  The above quote, and the man page, don't seem to
> indicate this.

the code as I inherited it rendered blink as bold (I don't know the
history of that detail, either)

> So it would still be useful to figure out how to make xterm use
> character from the non-bold font for 'bold'ing

XFree86 xterm checks if the given bold font has the same size as the
normal font, and rejects it if it doesn't match.  If there's no
corresponding bold font, it simulates the bold font via overstriking.
(It also tries to find a bold font to match font2 - font6).

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com