lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev New Lynx translations available

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev New Lynx translations available
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 16:31:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Webmaster Jim wrote:

> I am pleased to announce the following are available:
>
> Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 12:10:17 -0400
> Subject: New Russian PO file for `lynx'
> >    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/maint/lynx/ru.po
>
> Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:50:17 -0400
> Subject: New Japanese PO file for `lynx'
> >    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/maint/lynx/ja.po
>
> Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 14:27:09 -0400
> Subject: New Danish PO file for `lynx'
> >    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/maint/lynx/da.po
>
> I have copied these to the ISC http and ftp sites.

In which directories / under which URLs?

Are these for 2.8.3rel.1 or later?

Ok, I can answer some of these questions myself, but it would help
if you could announce the details.

If I am guessing right, then these are the best currently available
translations for 2.8.3rel.1.  So they should be available from the
    <http://lynx.isc.org/release/>
page, not just from
    <http://lynx.isc.org/current/>.

Could you put them there, too, please?  The two "po" links from
<http://lynx.isc.org/current/> point to a place with now outdated
files and information.  I don't think it helps anyone to keep
that around.

Since I contributed the following (I *think* all of them), I ask
specifically to please remove
   README.de
   de-lynx-pot.txt
   de.gmo
   de.po
   de.po-19990227
   lynx-2.8.3.de.po  (?)
from
FTP Directory: ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.3/po/

Also, <http://lynx.isc.org/release/> has a link
to <http://lynx.isc.org/release/lynx-2.8.3.tar.gz> as
  lynx-2.8.3.tar.gz - the distribution with available international
                      message catalogs

Could you please update this to the latest files (I think this was
the intention, right?).

I thing that file should get a better filename.  It should include
and indication that this is "with available international message catalogs",
as well as another component that indicates how up-to-date the translations
are.  Something like
   lynx-2.8.3rel.1-po20000607.tar.gz

> This brings the
> official Translation project count to 8, plus that French one still
> lingering.

Sorry if this sounds too much like complaining, but I think it's currently
very difficult for the uninitiated to understand from the Web pages what
they have to do, in order to get the lynx 2.8.3 release with latest NLS
translations.

   Klaus