lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Could SSL (moudlo Open=SSL) become mainstream?

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Could SSL (moudlo Open=SSL) become mainstream?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:18:15 -0400

000606 David Woolley wrote:
>> There have been several positions wrt PGP in a commercial environment
>> (this was in the days when no commercial versions
>> were available outside the USA and Canada),
> IANAL, but I think the PGP issue is actually a case of fear,
> uncertainty and doubt.  Generally, in spite of US attempts to change laws
> to the contrary, software patents are not valid in the EEC.
> I know that there are certain vociferous people who claim
> that they have obtained UK software patents,
> so I'd reluctantly have to suggest consulting a lawyer,
> remembering that most patent law experts have an interest
> in more things being patentable.

it's important to note that the much-hyped patents for genes
have yet to be tested in court in the USA:
it seems relatively easy to get a patent number from the Patent Office,
but quite another to establish your claim for payment etc in court
when someone challenges you by making their own version of the product
& claims the PO acted VLTRA VIRES in issuing the patent to you.