lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Concerning the use of abort in the source of lynx

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Concerning the use of abort in the source of lynx
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 15:56:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Michael Sokolov wrote:
><address@hidden> wrote:
>> Airplanes crash VERY infrequently.  Come up with examples of *software*
>> failures that caused plane crashes.  It is most often hardware failure or
>> human error.
>
>Yeah, but if the principles of free software were also applied to other areas,
>such as hardware engineering (blueprints, schematics, etc.) and educating
>pilots, the rate of airplane crashes would certainly decrease.

Sorry for continuing this totally off topic discussion.

How the hell do you expect people to earn money to EAT?  Why is someone going
to design airplanes for free if a company can pay them?  Most free software is
done by people on their own time for fun, but it can't realistically be
expanded to many other areas.

>> Sheesh, I think open source software is great as much as the next guy, but
>> this idea that nothing good can come out of proprietary software, or that
>> there aren't times when proprietary software is better than free/open source
>> software is just ridiculous.
>
>Well, we'll just have to disagree. But there are people who agree with me. RMS,
>for example, refuses to use any proprietary software for anything under any
>circumstances.

Yeah so?  Name dropping people with *VERY* extreme (to use a nice term)
positions doesn't help your cause.