lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx 2.8.2 not working on AIX 3.2.5

From: Denny Watkins
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx 2.8.2 not working on AIX 3.2.5
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 10:10:12 -0600

At 12:46 PM 1/7/00 -0600, you wrote:

>> Alert!:  Unable to connect to remote host.
>
>It seems you are having two distinct problems.  They may or may not
>be directly related.
>
>1) Lynx stalls - it's willing to do something only if you push it
>  (press a key).  Only with your newly compiled 2.8.2.
>
>2) Lynx cannot establish a TCP connection.  All your Lynx binaries
>   (ald and new) have this problem.
>
>Is that summary correct?

DENNY WATKINS:   YES

>As for problem 1 -
>It looks related to the function HTCheckForInterrupt.  Could you please
>try the following: In file src/LYUtils.c, find
>
>  PUBLIC int HTCheckForInterrupt NOARGS
>
>and just replace its body completely with
>
>  {
>    return NO;
>  }
>
>and recompile.  That should give you a new lynx that acts "only" as
>broken as the old ones.

DENNY WATKINS:  DID THE ABOVE AND IT WORKS LIKE THE OLD BROKEN VERSIONS!

>As for problem 2 -
>
>We had a problem reported last February that seems to be exactly the same.
>It was never resolved AFAIK.
>Please see the threads started by "Clair Wilson" in
> <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month011999/threads.html>
>and
> <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month021999/threads.html>.
>Maybe you can answer some of the questions that were never answered,
>maybe you can trace the execution so that we'll finally know what
>syscall fails, or you can run it under a debugger and find out what
>exactly fails in function HTDoConnect.

DENNY WATKINS:
I CHECKED THE THREADS ABOVE AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR LYNX!
CLAIRE STATED THE FOLLOWING:

"We have AIX 3.25 running on an rs6000. Lynx has been working great for
years. Recently I upgraded aix with IBM's year 2000 updates in order to
make aix y2k compliant.
As soon as I did that, we could no longer use lynx. Every time we try to
access a remote site, we get message :

"Alert!:  Unable to connect to remote host"

I upgraded lynx from 2.5 to 2.8 in hopes that the problem might be solved.
However, that had no effect on the problem. It appears that one of the
fixes which got applied to aix from IBM's y2k fix tape caused this problem.

All the fixes were successfully applied, and the fixes appear to have made
aix 3.25 y2k compliant."
.
.
.

>Or try to get an answer from IBM.  Obviously some system upgrade destroyed
>binary compatibility for some program(s).  Maybe it has been fixed since
>that upgrade came out.

Ellen Rosenblatt STATED:

"I have called IBM and they don't think this is their problem."

DENNY WATKINS:
THIS WOULD BE A TIPICAL REPLY FROM IBM.  OBVIOUSLY THREE SITES
THAT HAVE UPGRADED AIX 3.2.5 TO BE Y2K COMPLIANT HAVE EXPERIENCED
THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM:    Alert!:  Unable to connect to remote host.
OF COURSE WILL SAY THAT AIX 3.2.5 IS NOT CURRENT AND WE SHOULD
UPGRADE TO AIX 4.3.1.....HEARD IT BEFORE.   I AM PLANNING TO
UPGRADE TO AIX 4.3.1 IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO.   IS ANYONE RUNNING
LYNX 2.8.2 ON AIX 4.3.1?

Thanks for your help Klaus.

 Director Computer Services   +  Email:  address@hidden    +
 Morningside College          +  Voice:  712-274-5250                    +
 Jacobsen Computer Center     +    Fax:  712-274-5378                    +
 1501 Morningside Ave.        + "Customers don't care how much you know  +
 Sioux City, Iowa  51106      + until they know how much you care."      +