lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev can't interrupt "LIST" command

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev can't interrupt "LIST" command
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:07:58 -0800

I could provide a copy of the file I was loading, if anyone wants to
further explore the memory-consumption aspects.  (Remember that I was
doing two things: first, simply loading the file; second, hitting 'L' =
"LINKS".)  Ok, it's on <http://www.armory.com/~filbo/cclist.html.bz2>.

I don't think there was anything particularly interesting about the file
(a compilation of play.columbiahouse.com's CD collection, boiled down to
just the artist names, album names, and "buy it" tags, all with URLs).
Just a big file with tons of links.

Process sizes were virtual, not working set.

Not using color styles.

My main issue was with the non-interruptibility.

Klaus> All it should take is a HTCheckForInterrupt() in the
Klaus>         for (cnt = 1; cnt <= refs; cnt++) {
Klaus> loop in showlist() in LYList.c, plus some sensible action in case it
Klaus> returns TRUE.  A prompt would make sense, asking whether to show the
Klaus> partial file (return 0) or not (return -1).

No prompt, just show partial file.  That's what Lynx does when you
interrupt reception of a page, so a prompt would be out of character.

Philip> why didn't you simply send an inquiry to lynx-dev,

Because I hate it when people do that.  I did not wish to hold myself
"above the law", so I waited until I had a legitimate issue I wanted to
raise.

I'm back on the list, thanks to Bob Izenberg.