lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev reading sjis docs [was Re: lynxcgi problem]

From: Hataguchi Takeshi
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reading sjis docs [was Re: lynxcgi problem]
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:38:09 +0900 (JST)

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > But I can't understand the individual functions which should be
> > inside of Lynx or outside of it.
> > Are you saying processing 1-byte kana should be outside of Lynx?
> > Is this right?
>
> Not the "processing 1-byte kana" per se, the "manual override" feature
> (using ^L to manually change the document character set in order to get
> better performance [means Lynx already can do "good" conversion if it
> can properly determine the document character set?]) in its entirety.
>
> I (my single opinion, and not necessarily agreed upon by others, certainly
> not by Hiroyuki Senshu) think that Lynx should do the best job it can to
> convert the encodings with the information it can obtain.  That includes
> 1-byte kana processing, and all CJK for that matter.  *If* Lynx fails to
> convert them properly, i.e., you get "mojibake," *then* the user should
> use tools outside of Lynx, IMO.

I see. Thank you.

By the way, I'm wondering ASSUME_CHARSET doesn't work for Japanese
as expected now as you've ever wrote.
Do you know the relationship between ASSUME_CHARSET and
"kanji code", which can be changed by ^L with SH_EX?
I think their purposes resemble each other and only the latter seems valid.

If this is right, I think ASSUME_CHARSET should work properly.
# "Japanese (Auto Detect)" should be added in the list, if needed.
Don't you agree with me, Henry?

> to include a proxy with the Lynx binary.  Does lynxcgi, the sample solution
> I offered, work on Windows?  I simply do not know or understand problems that
> Windows users might face.

Your script uses backquote, which command.com doesn't support.
Consulting with your script, I tried to write a batch file like below.
Though I don't have a Win32 version which is enabled to use lynxcgi,
I tried it under Cygwin and found it works.
I think it works also in the environment Cygwin isn't installed,
if you have sed and xargs.
--
Takeshi Hataguchi
E-mail: address@hidden

@echo off
echo Content-type: text/html
echo\
PATH=d:\home\patakuti\bin;c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin;c:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\usr\local\bin;%PATH%
echo %QUERY_STRING% | sed 's/\/sj//' | xargs lynx -source | nkf -Se