lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Setting mailer in Lynx

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Setting mailer in Lynx
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 00:21:52 -0700

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999, Robert Dansereau (address@hidden) said:

| I believe I have the current version of Lynx, and was wondering if it is
| possible to use another mailing program other than the built-in one?  I
| can't seem to find the configuration, or is it at all possible?

It is for mailto: url's, though not in a completely transparent way.

You need to be observant enough to actually notice that the url you
want to "activate", *is* a mailto: url (eg, mailto:address@hidden),
and "activate" it using the EXTERN command (bound to "." by default),
rather than the normal right-arrow key.

You also need to have made an EXTERNAL definition of the form:

 EXTERNAL:mailto:mutt.mailto %s:TRUE

in your lynx.cfg file.

I use the above to invoke a small shell-script, which then invokes the
mutt mailer.  Reason for the shell-script is to "prune" the address that
lynx passes to the external program (mutt, here) in the %s arg, to strip
off the "mailto:"; string, per se.  I use:

 #!/bin/sh
 #
 # mutt.mailto ... trims the "mailto:"; string off the address passed from
 #                 lynx
 #
 addr=`echo $1 | cut -f2 -d:`

 mutt -s "" "$addr"

 exit
 #
 #--end--#

which will start mutt, with a blank Subject: header field.

YMMV, depending on the mailer you want to use.

/kim